About Our Church
Hermitage Presbyterian Church had its beginning in a small, one-room log schoolhouse on Lebanon Turnpike a short distance east of the present church. As often as the Rev. Andrew Hodge would visit, the community, led by Rachel Jackson, would gather in the cabin to hear the Word of God preached. In 1819, the building burned to leave the community without a school or a place to worship.
In 1824 Rev. Hodge dedicated the “Ephesus Church,” which was built by the community on ground given by Andrew Jackson; Rachel Jackson was one of the eight charter members. Eight years later the church joined the Nashville Presbytery. In 1839 the church was renamed Hermitage Presbyterian Church, and Andrew Jackson joined the church. Fire struck again in February of 1965 leaving just the walls of the building standing. (The building has now been restored and may be visited at Tulip Grove at The Hermitage).
In September 1965, the Hermitage Church acquired its present site in an exchange of land with the Ladies Hermitage Association. The ground was broken in March 1967 for the present sanctuary by Mr. C. L. Winn, a great, great-grandson of Andrew Jackson; and the congregation had their first service in the new building in December 1968. We continue the commitment of the congregation to the tradition of the education and spiritual development of the Hermitage community.
written by — W. E. (Putt) Hunt
Hermitage Presbyterian Church is called to proclaim the Gospel of Christ and the beliefs of the Christian faith, to maintain the worship of God, and to inspire in all persons a love for Christ, a passion for righteousness, and a consciousness of their duties to God and their fellow human beings. We pledge our lives to Christ and covenant with each other to demonstrate His Spirit through worship, fellowship, and ministry to the needs of the people of this church and the community