Hermitage Presbyterian Church had its beginning in a small, one room log school house on the Lebanon Turnpike a short distance east of the present church. As often as the Rev. Andrew Hodge would visit, the community, led by Rachel Jackson, would gather in the cabin to hear the Word of God preached. In 1819, the building burned leaving the community without a school or a place to worship.
In 1824 Rev. Hodge dedicated the “Ephesus Church,” which was built by the community on ground given by Andrew Jackson; Rachel Jackson was one of the eight charter members. Eight years later the church joined the Nashville Presbytery. In 1839 the church was renamed Hermitage Presbyterian Church, and Andrew Jackson joined the church. Fire struck again in February of 1965 leaving just the walls of the building standing. (The building has now been restored and may be visited at Tulip Grove at The Hermitage).
In September 1965, the Hermitage Church acquired its present site in an exchange of land with the Ladies Hermitage Association. Ground was broken in March 1967 for the present sanctuary by Mr. C. L. Winn, a great, great grandson of Andrew Jackson; and the congregation had their first service in the new building in December 1968. We continue the commitment of the congregation to the tradition of the education and spiritual development of the Hermitage community.
written by — W. E. (Putt) Hunt